Saturday, November 18, 2006

Sweet Land




As Inge buries her husband Olaf on their Minnesota farm in 1968, we relive her life story as she tells her grown grandson about how she arrived from Norway in 1920 as Olaf's postal bride. Being a German in the United States only a few years after the end of World War I was difficult especially when one does not speak English but it is even harder when you are discriminated against. No one wanted Inge and Olaf to marry, but they learned to like each other and then love each other despite their hardships.

This is a brief description of the independent film. I loved this movie because it is relevant today even though it is a period piece. It is a love story that shows how love can triumph over discrimination. Just as many Muslims are stereotyped and discriminated against now due to the war in Iraq, the same thing happened to Germans after World War I. Slowly over time Inge was able to win the love and respect of her husband as well as those in her community despite her heritage.
I also have a special connection to this story because it is also tells the story of Norwegians emigrating to the United States in the mid 1800s and early 1900s in order to make a better life for themselves and their families. My great grandfather and great grandmother on my father's side immigrated separately in the mid 1800s to Minnesota. They met and married and eventually had my grandfather. I was able to see what it was like for my grandparents on both sides of my family growing up in Minnesota in the 1920s. All of my grandparents grew up in and raised families in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My grandfather was Norwegian while my other grandparents were Swedish. All of them were children in 1920 and were just a twinkle in each others eyes, but the scenery was similar to the scenery in pictures of them as children.




Grandpa & Nana Mortenson
Grandma & Grandpa Anderson




While it is not on my list of five greatest movies of all time, it is definitely in the top twenty. The movie was released in October 2006. If you get the chance to see it and you like love stories as well as period pieces, you may want to see this one.